May 4, 2009
did you get my letters yet?
**This morning I received my first mail! I got a big letter from the family (April 14) and a letter from -- hang on, who was it again? SARAH! (joke lang, as they say here -- a lot. I was really excited to find your letter here. The sense of humor here is totally different, by the way. They don't laugh at my jokes, and I try to figure out what they're saying. More about jokes later.) woo-hoo! I'll get some snail mail back at you, as soon as I can find a post office. hmm. . .
Sarah, your talk inspired me. Especially the story of Rach, Shach, and Benny : ) Really, I can see how tough it would be here to live the gospel sometimes. There is such a minority, but the people that stick through all the adversity, are so strong. The lives of the members here are so different from the rest of the people. We really are a peculiar people.
Thanks again, Sarah. I'll get back to you soon.
I also received a wonderful letter from Great Grandma Peck. Thank her so much for the news! Her support and loving words are just what I needed. I keep her picture here, and thinking about Grandma and all the family is such a help to me. I love you all, and I will write to G-Grandma Peck as soon as possible.
By the way, I'm writing you letters every week, mom, just like President Miller said.
Moab sounds awesome!!! I really feel like rock-hounding right now. Wow, someplace dry. That's heaven. The rain is the works greatest enemy here. It's a cultural thing that if you are wet, you will not be admitted into people's homes. That's completely foreign to me, but turns out, it's true. And it's hard to stay dry when the rain is so merciless. There is no good drainage system, and sometimes we are walking in ankle deep water in a street. Some places among the squatters are simply impassable, and the rainy season hasn't even officially started!
. . .she also gave me some Belle stickers that are the coolest thing since ice-cream.
**Stickers are everywhere here. People sell books all over -- batman, mickey mouse, and other disney characters are favorites -- and they are plastered on everything. Quite a favorite decoration. I almost bought a book of Incredibles stickers walking past a "carnival" during P-Day this morning, just because it seemed like the cool thing to do. Thankfully, I thought better of it.
Hi guys, how are you?
I can't tell you how much I miss you. I love you too! Are you having fun?
Name some of the foods you are eating --or trying to eat! Love, Maddy
** Okay. . .
This week I had rice for almost every meal. -- While we're on topic, I need the nutrition facts -- fast. For a cup of uncooked rice. I am getting, um, fat. I've lost almost ten pounds, but I'm getting a belly. I'm starting to look forward to rice, it's tasting better and better all the time.
back to the question,
I had mango with almost every meal as well, I love mangoes. And ulam. Meat and veggies cooked in some kind of sauce, and with rice. I'm an amateur using utensils here, they use the fork to push food into the spoon, and I usually just use the fork.
Also, lumpia that a member cooked, that's amazing.
And this mushroom concoction, mushroom and egg, we fried it.
I made the last serving of pudding, it's great frozen.
Bangus (milk fish) at a members house, I loved it.
I haven't eaten anything really weird yet, at least, not really weird. The menu is really different here. I miss sandwiches. Bread. Cookies. Iyen lang. The food is tasty.
Loren, it sounds like you are adjusting well.
Love Dad
**Most days I head out ready to meet the Philippines, and re-discover that maybe the Philippines isn't quite ready for me. Americans. I'm a superhero to the little kids, who run up in large groups shouting "Up 'ere!" Looking for high fives, and hanging on my arms, and measuring themselves against me, usually giving themselves a good five extra inches. I here "Wow, ang tankad mo!" a lot from the little ones. (How tall you are!) The teens are a different story, and sometimes I take a lot of abuse from them -- in English. In general, everyone is really nice, but I wish sometimes I could just fit in, that people would stop yelling English things to me, calling me Joe, laughing, and all that. There just aren't any Americans here. I'm sure as the language develops, and I settle into the area, things will simmer down a little.
Have a great week! Remember to let us know how to get a hold of you and what
time!
Love ya! Mom
**Okay, I'm not sure how this will work. If nothing else, I'm planning on noon here on Sunday (I'll call you), which, according to my calculations, will be 9 p.m there on Saturday. But if it works better with Chris for me to call on Monday here, that's completely possible. The call can be from 30-40 minutes, on or within a day of the 10th. I can call for a quick set up call. I'll call sometime this week, I'm not sure when, but I'll try to make it in the morning here.
I'm out of time, but looking forward to talking to you all!
We met some amazing people this week through the work of the members, I love these great members. I'm learning a lot about the workings of a ward, and the role of the members in missionary work. Wow, we have so much potential as members. I re-read the notes from my setting apart blessing, and about the part -- to be generous in giving blessings, and there are so many opportunities every week. It's still quite an experience in Tagalog, but it's very sacred. The faith of these people are so pure. I need to start out with all the spiritual experiences first, and just a little culture if I have time. I'll start doing that.
Thank you all! I love you.
Elder Peck
No comments:
Post a Comment