Monday, November 23, 2009

Pasko na!



Dear Family,
Our church attendance really bounced back this week. Yes mom, boxing is HUGE here, and people have been watching the replays and talking about the upcoming boxing matches. Pakyaw (spelling?) ( aka: PacMan) is the hero right now. I don't know how he does it, he's really small.
Chris, this past month I've noticed more and more just how much espaƱol there is in Tagalog. The cool thing is, over 300 years of Spanish reign, it got mixed in so slowly that now, a lot of people think the spanish words they use are tagalog. Delicado, milagro, peligro, tsineles, ebanghelyo, propeta, saserdote, libro, mismo, there are hundreds and hundreds I hear every day. There's a lot that's been tag-lized.
Who knows? maybe I'll be able to switch over to spanish when I'm back in the Estados Unidos. Thanks for your part of the letter! Do you have a calling in the spanish ward, or was it a one time thing? Dad, the churches here aren't as "fortress-like" as the one you attended, but it is strange to see the church all fenced up and locked up here, with bars on all of the windows.
I couldn't even remember what day was Thanksgiving this year. A few weeks ago I remembered that it was in November, and I knew it must be close because Sister Puzey gave a talk at Zone Conference on Gratitude and Humility. Sister Puzey gives amazing talks, everything is always so well studied and her talks are constantly very spiritual. I always look forward to Zone Conferences. I had the opportunity again to play the piano. Whatever skills there were before have been in the basement for a little too long -- my fingers are like 10 little kalabaw. Sister Puzey said she wanted to know when #9 was coming -- I had to tell her I wasn't sure. Is there a date? Guess? President Puzey just got back from a Mission President training session -- 3 days. Elder Cook was there, and he said that he had felt impressed many times that something very critical to the latter-day work of the Lord was happening in the Philippines. He pointed out that there are 6 billion people on the earth, and 3 billion in Asia. The Philippines is right in the middle of all that, and in the way things worked out, it happens to be the only Christian nation in Asia. And missionary work exploded here. Now it's still really rolling, but we usually hang around 120 baptisms a transfer with this past one, 80, as the lowest ever, while formerly there were upwards of 300 constantly. President Puzey said that now we needed to get really smart in the work, because people aren't just showing up at church any more waiting to be taught. The focus was Chapter 8.
Getting investigators to church was a big success this week. Last week I wrote about the Degusman Family, but their last name is really Izon. The Izon family regularly visits family on the weekend, but on Sunday they left at 4 AM and traveled here to get dressed and come to church. We swung by to pick them up and they were all ready to go, they'd found some sunday clothes, and brother had even found and polished some sunday shoes. Teaching them has been an absolute pleasure -- they put everything aside to listen and always read the assignments and do everything we ask them. Their circumstances are very humble, but they insist on giving us juice or buying some soda or crackers for us. It's SO against the cultural code to turn a merienda down. We will teach them about the Word of Wisdom tomorrow, and hope they'll be ready for that, but on the last visit, they mixed up some "Nestea" and had already poured it into glasses for us, and handed it to us. We could tell it wasn't the normal juice, so we asked what it was. I looked at Elder Cobacha, and he was scared. We held the glasses and 'ah-hummed' a little and fidgeted a little, but then had to brake it to them that we couldn't drink it. I had to say it, because Elder Cobacha was scared to death that they'd be offended, and I started to think if I didn't say anything Elder Cobacha might start drinking just so they wouldn't be hurt. Luckily, they understood, and everything went great at church. We were early and got to take them around, and they got to talk to bishop in his office and meet everybody. They are an amazing and very promising family, but there are problems as well. Because of some complications, because of the lack of divorce in the Philippines, they can be baptized after an interview with President Puzey, but they won't be able to go to the temple, and that's really hard. We'll see how things unfold. Two other investigators also came to church, including Sister Luna. Her grand-children were really impressed. The week has flown by and we've been really happy in the work. I'm really enjoying seeing the progression here in Aduas, and this past month or two has been peaceful and a really happy time for me. I know I'm here for a reason, and I feel that the spirit is helping me know what to say and is leading us to prepared people, like the Izon family. I love ya'll lots, and thanks for all your prayers. Take care!
Love, Elder Loren Peck
P.S. I received the Christmas package from the Swans and want to say THANKS A TON! The Charlie Brown Christmas Tree will hopefully be assembled later on. Thanks also for the thoughtful gifts for Elder Cobacha. In the 8 months that he's been out he hasn't received a letter from his parents, because they are a long ways from the city and don't know how to email. He occasionally gets an email from one of his siblings -- the only other member in his family. But one of his sisters is taking the lessons and made it to church. Yes! Elder is really excited about that. I passed on the gifts, and he told me to tell the Swans thank you. He wore the tie yesterday. At his home they don't have presents at christmas time, but he loved the christmas season because it was the one time every year he'd head home from Manilla, carrying 3 kilos of meat for their christmas feast.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment