Dear Family,
I think everyone who wrote last night wrote that it was a "normal week". Mine was not. Wow, it's been a wild one. Here's just a few of the smaller things that happened:
I couldn't email yesterday because there was a province wide brown out that lasted almost the entire day. We were all practiced because earlier this week the power company cut the power to our home and we were in the dark for 24 hours because we didn't pay the bill. The person delivering the bill couldn't find us at home so he gave the bill to one of our neighbors and they hadn't given it to us yet. A power outage for us means no electricity and no clean water. We pump all our water from a hand pump out behind the house. It's dirty water, so we have to clorox it. But out back is where we bathe while we're pumpin', and the sun's coming up . . . that's an experience! Good thing the back walls are high! After our night with no electricity we got our hands on the bill and paid, and within 6 hours it was back -- thank goodness -- running water is such a blessing!
A lot more happened as well that I'll write about in another email. Yesterday was transfer announcements and it turns out I'll have a new companion here in Lupao, a short time missionary that will be here for only 5 weeks. I'm excited, it'll be a good experience -- It means I'll be here in Lupao for at least 3 more months and that's a good thing because I'm just starting to get close to all the members and investigators. One of Gerald's referrals, Ronnel Carig, has come to church 2 times and is seriously investigating. He'll turn 19 this month and he came to activities this week and Bishop Cruz has really taken to him, along with all the other members. He's a good guy. He's got a goal date on April 3rd. We have a baptism coming up on the 19th -- a youth who's dad passed away and who's mom has been in another country for work for 3 years. He's come to church 11 times and is amazing for being 12 years old. He's qualified himself by every standard, and just waiting for us and for the interview on Friday. Sister Violeta's children came to church again but Sister herself didn't make it, she was washing clothes. Brother Capistrano didn't make it either, but he and his wife are moving closer to working on the marriage arrangements. There's been some good progress and we met a promising new family -- teaching the gospel is such a good experience when it's to an entire family, the doctrine is more applicable and families are just fun to teach. They are former investigators that were about to be baptized 2 years ago when they moved to Pangasinan. Now they say they want to be taught again. Mabanta is their family name.
I wrote last week I believe about our giving a blessing to Brother Galecia, who was suffering for quite some time. When I thought to give a blessing of healing, the words wouldn't come, and I blessed him instead with peace in his heart and heavenly help to ease his suffering. We visited one more time after that and in our short meeting an exhausted Brother Galecia looked at me and said that he was ready to leave, he was just waiting for the Lord to let him pass from his trial. A few days after that, Brother Galecia passed from this life to the next. As we were walking home past the Galecia home we noticed bishop and a few members inside, and we talked to Brother Galecia's wife just after he'd left his mortal body behind, and passed through the veil to a place where he will not know pain or sickness. I am so grateful to know the truths of the gospel and to be sure of Heavenly Father's eternal plan for us. I know he's planned all sorts of things for us, hard times and times of happiness, but it's all for our good, and to help us become like Him.
I love you all, family, and I am so grateful for your prayers and support. It means so much to me!
Love, Elder Loren Peck
No comments:
Post a Comment