Monday, September 20, 2010

Ocean In View!





Dear Family,
Sounds like Chris, Dad, and I all had a good time at the edge of the Pacific Ocean this week -- just on different sides. Salmon on that side, Milkfish on this side. Peach pie there, pineapple pie here. And I'm not sure which is more tasty. But I do miss Dad's salmon and mom's peach pie. It was district conference in Baler yesterday -- their first ever since they've only been a district for about a year. By the time I arrived in Baler, it felt like we were not in Angeles Mission anymore -- it's just too far out. It took 3 hours to cross the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the largest in the Philippines. And those are some rugged mountains. It would've been okay if it was all paved, but a large part is not, and those grades and turns are insane. Good thing there's next to no traffic and no speed limit and no police and no people. When my companion (Elder Magsino) explained the drive to me, he used the words "road rally". Good description -- that was a roller coaster, high-adventure drive. Yesterday it took us five hours of driving, straight to make it back to Clark. We spent 3 days in Baler, and I was amazed at the beaty of the place. It's the first time I've been through miles and miles of bukuhan, or cocunut plantations. Members gave us bags of citrus fruits and let us pick guavas on their property. At night, the fireflies come out, and that's a sight. The mountains are jungle covered and rugged, the scenery is just like what you'd see on "Emporer's new groove". But no llamas.

On Wednesday I got to go on a split in Cabanatuan with Elder Thorn and his companion in Cabanauan. It was good to talk about the mission, we talked about turning points and things we'll never forget. He's amazing. I gave him a can of refried beans, and he provided some cold cereal and milk. The next day I worked in his old area in San Jose, where one of his old investigators gave us some adobong frog he cooked. To be polite, I had just a little taste of the leg. Hmmm, tastes like chicken! Tis the season -- kids are always on the edges of the rice fields nowadays with frogging poles and nets. Free meat! Speaking of "the season", Christmas music officially starts in the Philippines on September One. Meaning that inside stores and on bus radios, the songs of the season are being played every day now. I hope we can hold out till December -- Chirstmas is quite an event here, even with no change in weather.
We've been throught half of the mission on splits and giving a workshop at interviews, and this week we'll be on the other side. Last week we left our apartment early Tuesday morning and didn't come home until Sunday night. This week won't be quite so intense. Tarlac/Paniqui on tuesday, Angeles on Wednesday, and Sta Ignacia/Camiling on Thursday. We'll split in Camiling, Sta Ignacia, and Paniqui. Which means. . . On Thursday I'll be in Paniqui, and for sure I'll get to see some of the converts and investigators. That's something to smile about -- I can't wait, I love Cabayaoasan. I guess I probably wrote that the Bala's were baptized, and now Sister Bala's sister is getting ready for baptism.

We got up a little early this morning to rent some tennis rackets and play at the local courts! We had a great hour and a half, and at first I was afriad that I'd lost everything. But a few things started coming back. Sarah's going to whoop me on my first day back. I hear that President Puzey has a racket and likes to go play as well sometimes. Not just tennis today -- We threw around the frisbee as well at a beautiful park with ancient trees. We boiled corn, and the sisters in the district brought a banana fruit salad. We ate and then the Elders played some frisbee. It's been a great preparation day so far. Thanks so much for everyone's news -- it's so good to hear from everyone. Sarah! Tell Brother Stauffer HELLO for me. He's great, huh? He was my teacher and he was also over the seminary counsel my senior year. Give him a big thanks from me.

In the new area -- Magalang -- they had 12 investigators at church yesterday. A family of 9 came, and asked Elder Smith and Elder Pajela that after a family counsel, they want to know when they can be baptized. Another family also came, the Guinto family, which in english means gold. We love swappin stories at the end of the day. I've loved getting out and working in different areas this week -- there's some great things going on in the mission in every area. The gospel is going! That ward PMG activity sounds great, missionary work is so exciting. Well, hope everyone has a great week with homecoming and everything. Love ya'll lots!
Love, Elder Loren Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment