
I somehow thought that you could have a whole bunch of 19-22 year old girls in a mission and not have drama. Haha, silly, I know.
I also have been quite devastated to realize that after training, they don´t hand you a ´´perfect missionary´´ badge. I used to think it happened as soon as you entered the MTC...then I figured it must be in the field...or maybe after training... Now I´m starting to have the sneaking suspicion that it never will actually come. How disheartening to realize I will never be perfect. How strange to have to tell myself that that means that there may not be such a thing as a perfect missionary. Funny how before, I always thought they all were. Came with the proselyting card or something...
Instead, I guess I´ll just have to be Hermana Peck. And try to love, work and obey a little bit more like Christ every day.
As you can tell, I´m beginning to learn some rather important life lessons. :)
Well, I´m sure you were probably worried about my emotional state since that skype date ended with me crying. I was worried about my emotional state and worried I might have to break out an apple cider packet. But your fears can be allayed. After walking out of the somewhat sketchy internet cafe, I was just happy. So happy to have gotten the chance to talk to you all, and happy to skip along to visit the menos activo that we had scheduled that night. And it was a wonderful lesson, may I add. I stared awkwardly at Hna Safeer for long enough that she realized I was going to sit there until she bore her testimony, and I wasn't going to bail her out. (I love being the mean trainer!) And she did great! (Doing great has nothing to do with Spanish grammar, and everything to do with the power that comes when you testify with heart.) After the lesson, she turned to me and said, ´´Do you feel like that was just really good?´´ Yep. It was.
I am starting to really really love Hermana Safeer. She is so wonderful. She is so different than me, and it is so good for me.
They say that training is when you get to be your own missionary, you figure out who you are as a missionary. That´s kind of scary, because I only really knew Hna Frye, and I think she´s an almost perfect missionary, but I can´t be exactly like her. So I´m figuring out Hna Peck. And Hna Peck LOVES lessons. I make people have lessons. I make sure we´re teaching all the time. But I´m realizing that I also need to get to know members, work with menos activos, and.......CONTACT! Contacting scares me because we never really did it much last transfer. (tracting). But the other day, everyone fired us early, so I was furiously staring at my planner trying to figure out who we could go force a lesson with, when Hna Safeer says, ´´Hey! let´s go contact!´´ I groan inside with a groan of despair and horror. Oh Hna Safeer, why would you say that??? But I swallow the groan (blech), and say, ´´um......................yeah. Sure. Great idea.´´ And we go contact. At first, I start just inviting people to church. (Keep in mind, Hna Safeer can introduce us as missionaries, and that´s about the extent of on-the-fly conversational Spanish. She´s learning lots fast, but I´ve got the brunt of the contact). She tells me, we need to get a cita. You should change your approach and try to get in. I swallow another groan. It keeps going like this, with Hna Safeer being the pump-up motivator cheerleader, giving suggestions, and I try to implement them. And it turned out so fun. I started to actually get really invested in each contact I was making, and she reignited my greenie fire optimism that each new person could be a baptism. It was the best couple hours ever. She´s teaching me lots.
I love you all lots and lots, and I love my mission! How is this so fun?! It doesn´t make sense,
Love, Hna Sarah Peck
No comments:
Post a Comment