Monday, November 4, 2019

No, malvaviscos!!!

Wow what a week. Highs and lows and everything in between. But through it all, this week was a huge testimony builder to me that this is God's work and we are just the servants in the vineyard. Jacob 5. This last week I've felt the heat of high expectations from our mission leaders and missionary life in general and it kind of made me feel like a terrible missionary, like I couldn't accomplish what they wanted and therefore couldn't accomplish what God wanted. But I learned yet again that what God wants to happen will happen when He wants it to happen. 

For example: we were getting chastised a little because as a mission we weren't getting in with our member families as much as we were asked to. Somehow this week we got in with 5 member families (which is SUPER hard in this area). 
Another- we were not able to find many people last week so we were feeling kind of down. This week, we found 5 people! Those were miracles I will definitely talk about.

We were also getting told that our Spanish needs to be better - this one really hurt because I was trying SO hard but my Spanish felt worse than ever. Those who I talked to on Halloween saw just how discouraged I was. But then- on Saturday we had a lesson with someone we miracle knocked a few weeks ago and the Gift of Tongues was REAL! I was saying stuff I didn't even knew I knew. It happened again at our next lesson! And then I was able to teach the message at our Branch President's house and I was super nervous about that but it went well! And then yesterday I was able to understand our Sunday school lesson better than I ever have! I feel so blessed. 
It definitely feels like some weeks God is withholding his blessings from us. But I can almost, ALMOST say I'm grateful for those really rough times because it's right after that that there is so much growth and progress. 
So the finding miracles! We just decided to knock the doors of some potentials and the very first one they invited us right in, we sat down and taught the restoration. The significance of the message didn't hit them because they just love hearing about God but they want to come to church so that's awesome! But they work Sundays...that's kind of the problem with like 90% of the people we teach. Anyway, we knocked on the next potential door and they want us to come back this week! Miracles! 
So even though we don't feel like we're doing so hot sometimes, we look back and realize that Heavenly Father had His hand in all of it. ALL of it.
Funny stories...We found lots funny stickers off of the poles and signs! That's always a highlight. 
We were reading the Book of Mormon with someone we are teaching but her 7 year old son wanted to quiz us on our Spanish so he would point to things to see if we could say them in Spanish. He pointed to some marshmallows his sister was eating but none of us knew the Spanish word for marshmallows. "Malvaviscos" he said. "Malbabos?" I say. "No, MALVAVISCOS!!". He is so funny. And now that's my favorite Spanish word.
We went to the diner our friend works at again and he made us these Nutella stuffed waffles with ice cream...can you say heaven? So good. 
Halloween!!! We carved a pumpkin in the morning and roasted the seeds and I made pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes. I borrowed a blue and white checkered dress of Hna Whitehead's and braided my hair and called myself Dorothy. She was the Grinch haha which just means a green shirt and bow. Missionary costumes. Where the only one who knows you dressed up is yourself. 
Halloween itself was pretty chill, we had a member lesson and then a meeting. We went to B'more Licks and they had a special pumpkin ice cream, sooo good. Then that night we were at another members house so we were off the streets. 
I played the Lorax again. 
And the picture with all the bags, we were helping someone take their groceries but they had a ton...our car was stuffed. 
This week was fun. We taught a lot of lessons, members and nonmembers. The gift of tongues is real. It wasn't an easy week, but I just kind of decided to have fun so it was :) 
It was so good to talk to you all on Thursday! Keep being fantastic!!! I love you!!! Keep saying your prayers and reading your scriptures and try to see people like God sees them. I'll try too 😁 I love you! 
Love, Hermana Peck 

No comments:

Post a Comment