Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Loren's First Letter from the MTC


Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM
subjectKumusta, pamilya ko!



Today is my first P-day, and my companion and I are emailing while our clothes are drying. The laundry room is a happening place in the basement of the Wilford Woodruff (main) building. Elders and sisters that aren't washing, drying and folding clothes are writing letters on long tables as they wait their turn on the few computers that are here. The days are really flying by. Our schedules are packed, but being busy is wonderful. I met my companion about an hour after I left you, in our Residence Hall. We're in the basement, with the rest of the Philippines-bound Elders. My companion is named Elder Thorn, and we've really hit it off. He is 5' 11", and buff. He is from California, and likes to sing. As far as background goes, we are very different. I realize what a great place Cache Valley is, because I didn't have to deal with all the things that some of the elders had to go through. Elder Thorn is motivated, and we push each other. He likes to be on time, and reminds me of Chris in that aspect. He is upbeat and friendly, and bold. He is also really home-sick. He wasn't so much at the beginning, but it comes and goes. He has a girl-friend of two and a half years, and if he gets dear-johned, it will be the end of the world, I think. That's just a guess. Planning together is a blessing! Planning is changing my life! Planning will help me so much in college. Planning things specifically and with a goal in mind moves us along in a powerful way. Which brings an experience to mind. On Saturday, we had a planning workshop with a returned missionary named Brother Crooks. We'd been sitting in our claustriphobic but wonderful classroom (because we learn so much! The spirit is there, and it really is a place of learning.) - all morning, and we were a little ancy. But before he began to teach us, he said, "Now, I'd like you all to have a vision." We all closed our eyes, and he told us to imagine we were in the Philippines, and that we'd found a wonderful Filipino family to teach. Over the course of the past weeks, we'd seen them come to Christ through faith in Him and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring. We saw how they're countance had changed, and how joy had entered their hearts. We felt our love for them. I could see it. The spirit was so strong. It is a special experience for me. At our Sunday devotional last night, the MTC president promised that if we internalized our purpose as a missionary, it would change not only our missions, but future callings and roles as husbands and fathers. Focusing on people. It's been a great time, and I'm learning so much. I love you all - mahalkita.
Kit a Kits for now.
Elder Peck

4 comments:

  1. I love that you are posting on the blog Kerry! Love ya all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful letter! Every parent's dream to hear of the spirit touching their children and the joy they feel and to recognize it and from where it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great letter, he sounds like he's doing fantastic! Thanks so much for doing this blog, I love it!

    p.s. we are SO excited about a pig! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love this blog! You are doing a fabulous job. It was great reading Loren's letter and so good to know that he is doing well. He is in our prayers always!

    ReplyDelete