




Interviews this week was good, but as always, I wish there was a little more time to talk to President Puzey! The Puzey's delivered a keyboard this week to Darius in Lupao, and Sister Puzey gave me the details. Apparently it was a really uplifting experience and Darius was really surprised and appreciative. We've sent in a request for a grant, because the keyboard won't be his to keep if the grant isn't approved.
I almost forgot: Happy 4th of July! Hope the fireworks were great. The 4th here was great, because a lot of people came to church! The youth (13-22) I mentioned, from a place called Calapan came again, this time there were 11 of them. It's going to take a while to get them separated into families and teach lessons, but it's quite the thing to see them taking up the entire front two rows in church. A potential missionary is their friend and he's been encouraging them. Besides that there was a part member youth that came to church for the 8th time, he's 14 and the only one in his family not yet baptized. It looks like his baptism will take place on the 24th. But I was most excited to see the Patricio family at church again. It was their third time. After Sacrament, Brother Philip attended classes and Sister Lerma went to primary with their 3 year old. Their child (Jezebel) loved Primary and they are one happy family. Because of their interest, their extended family and neighbors have really opened up to us. We're now teaching 2 more families in their area. The Remedios Patricio family, and the Edwin/Venus Patricio family. Philip said his mother also may be interested. This may turn into a great thing!
Last night we taught about obedience and reviewed the commandments that we'd already shared with them. After the lesson, they said they had no questions because they were following all the commandments we'd taught. Brother Patricio shared blessings (health and strength) that he said he believed was a result of living the Word of Wisdom. Fellowshipping efforts continue and they are looking forward eagerly to baptism on the 24th of July. The Holy Ghost is present and often very strong as we teach in their home. They are determined to be baptized! June 24th looks like it's going to be a very good day.
I had a great breakfast this morning, by the way -- an eggplant omelet and boiled bananas on rice with some left over sweet potato/pork soup. Boiled bananas of the "saba" variety is one of my favorite snacks/dishes. 3 cents a banana -- sweet and hot! Last night we were fed by a member -- goat calderetta and "papaitan", which is a bitter side dish made from the intestines of the goat. Things are going well in the area, and I'm loving the way we spend the days. Study, planning, and most of the time out about and among the people. It's such an uplifting thing to be doing, and I love our working time. The mission is great! I've been praying very hard for the gift of tongues lately, sometimes I just get tongue-tied and I know I just need to open my mouth more and talk, no matter what. This is no time to develop a "fear of men". Sounds like it's the usual, busy summer days in Cache Valley, but that's how it's supposed to be! Have a great week, everybody, I love you all so much --
Love, Elder Loren Peck
No comments:
Post a Comment