Dear Family,
Since last Sunday, we've taught the Sibal family 3 times and we have another appointment later, at 6pm and President and Sister Puzey are coming with us. Brother Sibal's parents have been on vacation here along with Brother Sibal's young son, Daniel. Our last appointment alone with Brother Sibal was sketchy -- about tithing and although it was clear and we felt the spirit, in the end he still said he just might not be able to swallow that commandment. We taught just the elderly Sibal's first, who are very religious (and very catholic) and on our return appointment with them Brother Sibal (Harold) joined in. I was surprised when, before we'd even started the lesson, Brother Harold jumped in and started explaining about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon to his parents, and saying how good the things he'd heard were. Elder Landingin and I were surprised! And then Harold got his Restoration DVD out and suggested we watch it. We went through it slowly, explaining, and Brother Harold did a lot of explaining himself. We had a rough time that night getting the elderly Sibals to say the closing prayer that wasn't the "Hallowed be thy name" prayer. We probably had 3 practice prayers before they felt comfortable with it. We were getting a little bold with the prayer doctrine, but before we left Elder Landingin said very seriously "Sister, Brother, we've been sent to teach this, and we'd be sad if we didn't teach it right. Now, we've taught it, and we feel... (suddenly with a big smile) happy." It was hilarious and we all laughed and they accepted a return appointment for the next day. The next night we were there and they were waiting. And they had the prayer down! Brother Harold did even more of the teaching/testifying and just talked with his parents. We could see that he wanted them to understand, I really think that he intends to move forward here. The best thing was, he explained tithing to his parents last night, just like we'd explained it to him. Surprise! After that he asked us when we'd be back. The lesson tonight will be the third night in a row, and it should be good. We've done a lot of door-to-dooring up in their area the past few days, and we've taught 3 other families.
This week we went on Exchanges in 4 areas and participated in 4 zone trainings, taking a half-hour part in President Puzey's training about giving Baptismal goal dates on the first visit, which is part of the new "Teaching More Effectively" curriculum. I didn't get to split with Elder Thorn (in Gapan) but I did get to eat lunch with him, and February is coming up fast! He mentioned that it was only 2 months away.
Earlier today there was a power-outage in all of Angeles, so I wrote a letter to you, mom and dad, made an apple/tart mango shake and cornbread, along with arrozcaldo, and was invited to play on the Puzey's piano (if I wanted). Pretty good P-day!
Next week already??? Time is flying! Everyone sounds so busy. Thanks so much for your notes. I'm so happy here and I love being with Elder Landingin. I take notes after we get out and teach so I can remember what happened and what my companion said that really had a big impact in the lesson. It's been no problem at all putting on weight this week, we'll get there little by little. This next week we'll be on 4 more exchanges, including Paniqui on Friday. Then on Saturday we have another appointment here with the Sibals. Good luck with all the marriage prep! I haven't heard a lot from Chris... is he ready? Happy Birthday Rachel and good luck getting everything done! Thanks for the packages, it's nice to know that they are somewhere in the ocean or air. I want to write you all letters, but it's hard when I think that by the time I start, and finish, and send it off, and it's on a slow boat... it might be March before it gets there.
Love! Elder Peck
No comments:
Post a Comment