Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ay Mi Madre!

Ay mi madre! That´s a favorite phrase of the Dominicans, and they think it´s hilarious when we start using their phrases and accent. You say it when something is surprising or frustrating or basically all the time. Well this week has been long, and...long. The days started out as about 12 years each, then we got down to seven, now each day is just a couple weeks long. But it''s good. It's exciting that I'm actually here, actually doing this, being a real live missionary sharing the truth. Some highlights: -Almost every sister recognized me from that youtube video, so they were all watching for me at the airport and all recognized me so I felt pretty famous for a day. -Spanish is coming really pretty great for me. I can pray, testify, and go most of the day without english. We've taught four lessons already, and the last two I didn't even read anything. (all in spanish, of course). -Milk comes from a box here. (bleh) -The power randomly goes out -they call a nap un povito (a little turkey) -we eat bananas all the all the all the time. My first day here, we had banana pancakes, banana bread, loads of plain bananas for every meal, and then a banana lasagna for dinner. Yes, plaintain lasagna complete with hamburger and cheese. So so gross. -Heavenly Father knew that I couldn't handle Elders, so he sent me to a district of entirely hermanas. There are only 5 North American Elders in the whole MTC, and I'm trying so very hard to remember what Justin said about loving the people they're turning into, but it is so hard! Except one of them, but he's 20, so that explains it. :) -But I love love love the Haitian Elders. We get along great. We talk about music and sports and they try to teach me French words (which don't stick very well with the whole trying to learn spanish thing.) But I can now say: I like pineapple, I like bananas (i don't), I like ice cream, and you?, and good night, in french. Don't worry, I can say a lot more than that in Spanish. I love to play basketball with the Haitian Elders. They are going to be such good missionaries, they have such a great spirit. I'm going to miss them when they go (they're only here for 2 weeks) -We get ice cream on Sundays! It's the only sugar other than whatever is in the juice that we get all week! (hint hint for anyone thinking of package ideas :) de chiste!) -One of my teachers found out I like yoga, and now whenever anything hurts she says, "ay mi madre! I need to do some joga!" Because they say their y like j. I've gotten up 15 minutes early several mornings with one of my companions to do some yoga. Which has been lovely. For gym time we usually play volleyball or basketball. -To illustrate what depths I've fallen to when it comes to media, check out the LDS website page and go to resources:youth:music. That's what I listen to when I'm working on our language study on the computer, and what's worse, I actually like some of it. So cheesy. Rachel would get a kick out of it. But it's about all we've got. -We have some sketchy meat here. Super sketchy. Just don't think about it and eat it. -We got to play with some member kids while their parents were at the temple on Saturday. It was so fun trying to figure out how to communicate what game we were playing and how to play. And they were so cute! It was definitely a highlight. -I talk with a hilarious accent. Even when I'm in english, it's too hard to switch, so I have a ridiculous accent. It's pretty bad. I can't wait for you guys to hear it on Mother's Day. -My companions are super great. It's a bit weird with 3, but they're both good and I love them. Mom, if you send a package, I would like my jacket, yes. It's hot and humid outside, but cold with the AC, and sometimes cold in the mornings or night. If you send anything even remotely valuable, put it in food boxes. Like ritz cracker boxes, etc. And you can mail it right to here. Processed sugary foods are a favorite because we never have sweets. :) I love you guys lots and lots! Thanks for the letters and pictures! Right now, I would pay all my pesos for some letters from home, so everyone should send me some dear elder. It's free. Do it. But I can only get my mail on Thursdays. So if you sent stuff, I probably won't get it unitl next week. Love, Hermana Peck.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she say "gross" about bananas? Are we related? It's going to be a long mission if she doesn't see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful daughter you have. She is full of life!

    Shaylin

    ReplyDelete