Monday, May 26, 2014

Wow! What a Week!

Farewell Hermana Alcantara


I am now living with the only two Hermanas older than me in the mission. And they have 3 weeks left. One is my new comp, Hermana Brockman. We lived together when I first came into the mission. And, despite some anxiety Monday night......it´s been super great. You should all probably take a picture of this email because it´s so rare that I say this, but here it goes: I love being a missionary. I am so happy to be here. I love doing what I´m doing. This is just the greatest thing. But it´s sad because we are doing so great together but it can only last until June 18th when the plane comes to take her and Hna Erickson away. I don´t think this is healthy for me to be living with them, but they´re both doing a good job trying not to talk about going home. Hermana Brockman has such great ideas that I´ve never tried and ways to help the branch. She worked before in a branch that needed a lot of help.

But......our investigators have fallen off the face of the earth as they tend to do every transfer. Nothing about Nelson except one of the ward members told us he didn´t want to get baptized. We had another lady that we had hope for, and then the relief society president told us she had investigated for like 2 years before, but never came to church. She didn´t even tell us when we asked if she´d had the missionaries before. Grr. It´s so frustrating. We want so badly to find adults and families, but the only ones that will listen to us and go to church are the youth.

Speaking of them, Yohanna is doing great. She came to church with her little brothers. Also, Rusbert her brother told us something interesting. We were talking about how great the Book of Mormon is (he went through a phase when he didn´t want to read it again because he already knew everything that was going to happen), and he said that he knew of at least one miracle from the Book of Mormon. He shared that he´d tried a million times to teach Yohanna to read, but she always forgot the minute he taught her. She´d get really frustrated and cry. We didn´t know any of this. We gave her a Book of Mormon. We realized she was a slow reader but she could read it, and she gets faster every time. He says it´s a miracle because she´d never been able to read anything before.

Arturo also came to church with Wander.

Rosanny got confirmed. She is just super great.

For the Relief Society mother´s day activity we made the biggest pot of San Cocho, a traditional Dominican soup thing. It has plantains, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yucca, sweet potatoes, green bananas, squash, and every part of meat (gross. you have to fish around for something that doesn´t have organs. or the entire rib cage). And we did all the decorations. It was exciting.  The relief society sisters did tell us that if we ever hoped to have Dominican boyfriends (not really, thanks anyway) we would have to learn to peel plantains a lot better. I cut myself.

We now have our new president, but we´ll meet him on Thursday.

That´s all the mission news that most of you will skim over, but my mom will study in-depth. love ya mom ;)

Love you all,
Hermana Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment