
Here are the pictures Loren refers to: Shaun & Kerry at Arches Natl. ParkSarah, Rachel, Kristen, & Ryan at on top of the hill at Yellow Cat (by Moab, Ut.) Good thing I had my telephoto lens!
Monday, April 13, 2009
Dear Family,
Thanks so much for the letter and pictures! I only figured out how to open the jpgs this week. Wow, mom and dad, you look so good! Sarah, Rachel, and all you -- how did you get that sweet picture with you all in the air!? Magaling kayo (you're talented!) I miss the rock-hounding.
First, a checklist:
Quantity of contact solution: Just over 2 bottles.
Camera card status: Ummm, I think I sent you one of the good ones, because one of mine is the bad one. Sorry!
Packages recieved: Isa! Galing sa langit! One! From Heaven! Thank you so much, I went into dessert withdrawal here the first few days. Does no one like dessert here, or what? The soles are wonderful. Thanks for everything! Mom, I got a chance to read the letter this morning, and it was just what I needed -- the part about culture shock especially. I found myself yesterday getting over the initial sparkle of being a superstar, and the "hey Joe!" was beginning to lose it's humor.
Alright, here's the story:
I was blown away by the heat when we stepped out of the airport in Manila. Wow. Sticky heat, oppressive heat. Love the heat, that's the advice they gave us -- better to love it than be perpetually miserable. So I loved it. We were all grinning outside the airport, and soon we divided into groups and headed to different vans to catch buses. It was hard to say goodbye to the 28 batch-mates that didn't go to Angeles. Then, we threw our luggage in a van, packed in, and headed off through the crowded Manila streets.
The traffic is wild here. At first I tried to take pictures of every jeepny that I saw, until I realized that there were hundreds! Long jeeps, decorated -- completely decked out, like there's a competition or something, and in the window and on the side it says the towns that they visit. There are benches on both sides, the back is open, and they fit as many people as can hang on for dear life inside and outside. After getting on, you sort out the money, or ask the driver how much to a certain place, then you pass your money up with a "bayad po!" Pay! And while swerving around in traffic, with a hand on the wheel and another on the horn, he sorts out change and passes it back. I'll never know how he keeps track of everything. When you want to stop, you shout out "para po!" - no idea what that means, or "tabi po" Side! or tap the ceiling. At first, my companion would say to me 36 pesos, or something, and I'd be so confused as to what I had that I'd just give him my wallet. But all this is later.
First, after driving through the Dr. Suess-ical city of Manila, we stopped at a bus -- umm, gathering place?, and bought tickets. With our incredible tagalog vocabulary, we waited in line and when we arrived at the window, we said "uh, isa . . . sa Dau . . . Magkano? He said some crazy thing, and I couldn't figure it out. Eventually, he had to show me the sum on his calculator. That was scary. We hopped on the bus, and left all others -- it was just us four, Elders Peck, Thorn, Greenlaw, and Wihongi-Richie, on our own, with some basic instructions as to where to get off. I've never been so dirty, tired, and confused. I was sore, couldn't sleep, and to make things worse, they had jimmied a TV on the front of the bus and were playing a movie - loudly - straight from Babylonia, in English. My neck got really sore from turning my head to the side the entire trip. The exotic trees and plants caught my attention. Wow, palm trees just growin'. On their own. It's so beautiful. The other thing was the sheer number of people everywhere. I felt like I was in an anthill, people milling about, trikes everywhere! People with make-shift brooms sweeping, gaurds outside of almost every big store. Again, the traffic is so lawless. The lines -- where they have them -- don't mean anything. Huge buses pass strings of cars, while trikes coming the other way are obliged to drive on the shoulder. Squeezing and swerving, everyone is so close to each other! I'm glad we're not driving -- crossing the street is adventure enough.
I've never been so happy to see anyone as I was to see the smiling faces of the Puzeys at the bus stop! I felt I'd been delivered! And they spoke English! They are so great. I love them already. Immediately, they asked about Paradise, and we've had some good conversations. We spent the night at their house, and we were out. I received your package, and that was such a boost. The culture shock didn't really take place until the next day, when I was assigned a trainer, Elder Gumiran, from Quezon City/Manila, and an area: Capas, in the Tarlac stake. It's a huge area, and we're constantly taking jeepnies around to visit investigators.
We arrived at our apartment, and another set of missionaries came in to admire our shower and "aircon" in our room. They congratulated me on my good fortune. I love the aircon at night, sometimes I wake up a little on the chilly side -- it's great! The shower and really, the entire bathroom is interesting. The shower is about a foot to the right of the toilet, and that's all there is. It's a tiny little room, and I wondered why the shower was right there, next to the toilet. I discovered the answer the next night, when after a long day, I found myself in need of the toilet paper, and there was none to be found. I hope to buy some today, but really, all you need is a bucket, water, and some soap. What an experience, I'm glad I survived.
My companion hates toilet paper, it's just not as clean. I'll stick with the toilet paper.
The first two days, we went around to visit members and investigators, and I found myself in a world where I can't understand a word. I feel aloof from everything, I have no idea what's going on. I was decoration in every lesson and discussion. I was surprised on my second day, when we met with an elderly lady and some of her grandchildren in a bamboo and cinderblock home, and after 15 of smiling, and listening to the "Tagalog" if that's what it really is, my companion turned to me and said, "teach Christ's earthly ministry" Woah. That was scary. I slowly chose words, and did my very best, and they seemed to understand.
Since then, I've come to understand what my companion is saying in a lesson setting, but I have yet to figure out conversational things and what the investigators are saying. It's the hardest thing ever when I feel the spirit, and want to share something -- my testimony -- so much, but not having the words. It really is a miracle, though, so far. I'm so grateful to the Lord, he's helping me so much with this language.
I'm in way over my head, and loving it! It's not hard to smile, even when I can't speak. These people are incredibly loving. I've got much more next week -- I love you all so much. Thanks for everything.
Elder Peck
Yeah Loren!! He's got such a great attitude. That makes a huge difference in any obstacle you have to overcome. I love the jumping picture from your trip. It's fabulous!!
ReplyDeletewow, what a letter! Sounds like quite the amazing week! He has such a great attitude, and I love hearing about his adventures!!
ReplyDelete